Tuesday, November 03, 2009

still in numbers

I almost hit a deer tonight. That was an enjoyable moment.
If I had been just 2 seconds earlier, I would have.
I was so stunned that I didn't even utter an expression for 30 seconds after it happened.
Jeesh.

Anyway.

I've been working on reading the Bible the entire way through. I've read the New Testament before but not the Old in its entirety, so I'm trying.
I made it through Leviticus, which, I have to say, is so boring. But I didn't want to miss anything so I finished it. Now I'm reading Numbers. Let's just say that in the "boring" category, it's taking a close second.
However, good is coming out of it. I'll find areas in this book where I have to stop and think. It's more on the rules and counting the tribes and the duties of the tribes, but I'll see things where I have to pause and wonder, "Dang. God was harsh.", or "What kind of a crappy rule is that?" But once I stop and think on it, it begins to make sense. Especially when I think of everything that goes into that "crazy wacked out" happening. There are covenants to consider, and purposely defiling what God had asked of those people. Then, what I thought was harsh, began to make sense. And it wasn't God being harsh, it was the people being human and making clear decisions to reject God.
So, although this book does drag out, it is really neat having a better understanding into things.
Also, I like being able to really discuss things that happened, people, rules, why things were, everything, knowing what I'm talking about instead of having to recall with an "Oh..yeah" and having to be reminded of what went on.
Bryan had mentioned someone thinking it would be cool to meet Moses, and although I do agree that it would be, he was a whiner. A big one. For everything. But, he was loved by God. So cool. I'm glad I'm not the only big baby and still loved by God.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad that you didn't hit the deer...or that the deer didn't hit you!
When we were driving to Iowa it has just gotten dark and something came flying in front of the car. Jacob and I were both too stunned to utter anything either...but just about died laughing when we realized it was a giant plastic bag or tarp that the wind was blowing !

Way to go on making it through the "boring" books. I've never tried because I always think it's too boring, but I think it's really cool that you are!

love ya!

Kathy said...

I am proud of you for sticking with the reading. All of God's Word points to Jesus, so I try to see that when I read the 'boring' books.

I never thought of Moses as a whiner, hmmmmmm I think it would be cool to meet him, he is known as God's friend after all.

I am glad you didn't hit the deer either, I was close to hitting one Sunday on the way to church weird!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I have had a few close calls going through the park over here. I'm so glad that you didn't hit the deer. For you and for the deer!

Your post about the "boring" books cracks me up. I can totally appreciate what you're saying. I think I would like to meet Moses. I feel a little like him. I'm reluctant and don't trust the gifts God has empowered me with. He likes weaklings. ; )

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I have come so close to hitting so many deer - God's guardian angels had to have "saved me".

I have read the Bible through a couple of times and each time I learned something different. Yes, those ones you mentioned are "boring" but like Kathy said, they all point to Jesus. As for Moses - I found him quite interesting and I loved how God used him. As for meeting him, I don't know but I sure want to meet Jesus face to face and maybe Ruth and the other women in the Bible!