Wednesday, November 09, 2011

*Warning* Gross Topic Ahead

I am trying everything to get my 3 year old to poop in the potty.  I don't think she likes to do it so I think she tends to hold it in, then it hurts, so she holds it in more.  Vicious cycle.  Then it turns into a huge battle between her and her bowels, ending in her pooping in her underwear.
Is this all too much?  I'm sorry, I've just got to fill you in so if you have advice then you can be well informed.
So anyway, to try to encourage her to poop in the potty I promised her a Ken doll.  She has a lot of Barbies but no Ken and after watching Toy Story she felt she needed a Ken doll as well.  Can't blame her, what's a bunch of Barbies without a Ken to go with them?
She would have a small movement here and there and would do it then and again in the potty but the big ones just seemed to end up being a big mess in her undies.  Even after she would mess her undies she would know what she did was wrong and would say she's sorry.
We'd have a talk about how it was gross to poo in her undies and that it was gross for momma to have to clean it out.  That she was a big girl now and big girls don't poo in their big girl undies.  She seemed to get it but then the next time it would happen again and we'd have another talk.  It was just never ending.
So I promised her a Ken doll for pooping in the big potty and today she finally did!  A big poo and we had a celebration.  A mini one in the bathroom that contained whooping and hollering but a celebration nonetheless.
I took her to Target and showed her two of the only three Kens that were available.  One was a surfer dude, so that was out cause her other Barbies don't have swimsuits so no need to go there.  And the other two were in tuxes.  One was a groom and the other one was a Charm School prep in a nice suit.  She chose the Charm school.  Sounds good.
Now, let's hope that she'll continue pooping in the potty.  Does anyone have any advice on how to keep it up?  Any advice is welcome because I'm tired of shaking poo out of teeny tiny undies.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This is one thing that I don't really have any advice on. 7 years in infant rooms, so I do have a ton of expertise in potty training.

I'd say, keep talking about the importance of it. Keep making a huge deal and celebrate when she does it! And maybe do something like a sticker chart in the bathroom? So many poops on the potty = a trip to Chuckie Cheese or something along that line. That's all I got. :)