Monday, November 01, 2010

And we're off!

It's national blog month once again. I will do my best to blog each day and now I've been challenged to comment on each blog as well. I will sure do my darndest.

So, to begin, I'll start with this last weekend. It was a slow weekend. Very calm and relaxing. Lots of rest and quiet. That is, aside from spending it at camp with 80 Jr. and Sr. high schoolers.

Bomb diggity.

Yes, I did just say that.

First, I'd like to say, that is was the very first weekend, even a single overnighter for my hubby and myself to spend away from our 2 year old. Long over due, but I wasn't ready until now. And no one could make me before then. It took me a year to let anyone else hold her. Do you really think it'd be any less than two before I'd let her spend the night away from both her parents??

So, Friday afternoon Bryan's parents came and got A. She was beyond excited and couldn't care less that she was leaving us behind. Needless to say, she had a great time at grandma's and grandpa's house.

They left, then soon after we headed for the church to meet the teens. Six kids were able to go. 3 boys, 3 girls. Four sponsors. We were out numbered. But we tricked them into liking us and behaving themselves the entire weekend!

Bryan and I led worship, which meant I had to do actions and be lively and lead a bunch of teens who thought it to be uncool to move during worship. Heaven forbid they encourage a 26 year old and jump around like teenagers.
I eventually got them to. I tricked them, again, into thinking it was cool. Cause it is cool. Who doesn't want to wave their arms around, jump side to side, and point to your butt when you sing the word "end"?
I sure do.
I had the three girls with me for the nights since I was the only female sponsor for our church. But I sure didn't mind. They were such good kids. But we did have to share a cabin. It wasn't bad after the first night.
Strange sharing with a bunch of other people when you're one of the two leaders and you've never been there before and the other person has and she's older than you and probably knows better at what she's doing than you and you're only 26 years old!! But it was all good.
I led devo's for the weekend and the girls did pretty good to listen, pay attention and respond back to the questions I asked. The first night we talk about Philip and the Eunuch. I'm sure glad they didn't ask me what a eunuch was. I would have been able to explain it, I just didn't want to explain it to them. Awkward. Maybe not.
I even brought a bag of mini twix. I slipped into their hearts riding their love of chocolate. Then I made them all tell me a favorite something of theirs. I may have made that too broad of a topic. One girl responded with a, "My favorite is hot guys and men who smell really good." I should have stuck with favorite color or food. Maybe day of the week?
Anyway..
We ended going to bed at midnight which was the bedtime on the schedule. So I cozied up in my flannel sleeping bag topped with a second flannel sleeping bag with my flannel pillow. It was freezing outside of my sleeping bags but I was warm and cozy. I slept alright, only waking once or twice to roll over. I forgot how tiny bunks are so I was afraid I'd fall off. But I slept fairly well.
Then I had to wake at 5:40. AM. It wasn't pretty, but I did it.

Stay tuned for Saturday at Camp Wannhockaloogie...

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Glad to hear your baby did ok with Grandma and Grampa and maybe it will be the start of a new thing with them, the three of them. Grandkids are pretty special and there is nothing like enjoying them alone from time to time. Just sayin' :)

Rachel said...

Haha! I am totally loving this post. You had me from "bomb diggity".
Sounds like a fun weekend! I'm sure the girls really enjoyed having you with them. I was always one of those teens who was "too cool" to do actions. Eventually I'd cave and do them (of course, that was after everyone else was finally doing them too) Haha!

I'm glad A did so good at grandma and grandpa's...and that you made it without her. I'm sure she loved it! :)

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Jill told me that Phoenix had a blast with you and couldn't hardly stop talking about you. Very cool that you got to do this!!!

I am very proud of you letting "A" spend time with her grandparents - you know they loved that! Now maybe you and Bryan can get away together just the two of you, and then in 9 months we will get to share another baby at church. :)

Anonymous said...

so nice to hear your version of camp. I'm still sad i didn't go but i know there was a good reason that i didn't. (just can't think of it now) hahaha just kidding! I love your writing! and i love you!