Tuesday, November 02, 2010

My Rad Saturday at camp Wannahockaloogie

Saturday morning came way too quickly. I love mornings but I'm not a great morning person unless I have to be. And in this case I did have to be.
I was up at 5:40am to be at the lodge at 6:30 to get breakfast ready. However, there were more girls than there was for things to do, so most of the girls just sat around for the longest time. They rest of the girls did have to do clean up, but I'm sure they wished they could have slept in if they had known that. I do understand that.
Having to lead a group of teenagers in worship early in the morning is not an easy task. Still asleep myself, we had to do what we could to get ourselves going. And if that meant shaking our butts and acting goofy, well, then I was all for it.
The first speaker was Pastor Chris. He did an awesome job. I took notes. I figure that even when the message is directed at the kiddos, that doesn't mean us adults can't take something away from it. And I sure did. Good job Chris.
We had free time, which for me meant watching everyone else play dodgeball. There was no way I was getting involved when the game consisted of volleyballs rather than your typical dodgeball. I saw way too many people get hit in the head. Nu-huh, no way, no how. So I sat out and talked with Mr. Tim.
Lunch and the next speaker followed. Pastor Nate. We only heard the second half, because Bryan and I went out to call our kiddo and see how she was doing. She was great. Really great. So great in fact, she didn't even want to talk with us. Ha! Goober.
Afterwards was the second free time. A group of 15 went to walk the nature trails around the camp that led to caves. It was cool. I have realized that I am so not 16 anymore, but for a 26 year old, I should not be as out of shape as I am. I will have to work on that.
After the first bout, about half the kids headed back to camp, the rest of us went off to find the Mystery Cave. It was worth it. It looked like not much of anything but it fit all 8 of us into it. So cool. I did crack my shin on a rock and I now have a very nice bruise to show for it.
We all even climbed into a tree and got our picture taking. This is when I really realized I'm not 16 and fearless anymore. My shoes weren't as "grippy" as they should have been. But it was fun.
That was the second bout and four split off from us heading back. The last of us finished the full trail off and went to see the labyrinth and the tree houses. Very, very cool but my legs were so dead at this point. I really just wanted to be back at the camp.
From start to finish, approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes of hiking. And not just a flat trail, but over rocks, up and down hills, a bit of rock climbing as well as tree. I was beat.
We had about an hour before dinner and I really just wanted to lay down and rest. I knew that if I did, however, I would not be waking back up before dawn the next day.
So, I got myself out of my cozy flannel sleeping bag, put my bunny slippers on and went on back to the lodge to mingle. Sorta. I sat and let everyone come to me. That's my kind of mingling.
We heard Pastor Phil speak and then dinner. It was soo good. Really so good. This lasagna came back to bite us in the butt.
(more on that in a few)
Then it was Pastor Terry. I must say, all these pastors were wonderful speakers. They flowed together so nicely. Later we found out that they didn't coordinate their lessons. In fact, they didn't even talk about it before hand. It was most certainly a God thing.
He's kind of awesome that way.
Afterwards there was free time. The kids went and hung out while watching a movie. Bryan and I stayed back to talk to the cook Brian. Very cool guy. However, this is when we found out that he put bacon in the lasagna. BACON. Bacon, folks. And when I say it came back to bite us in the butt, I was being quite literal. I'll just end it at that, though, to spare you.
We talked until 10 when I excused myself for a much needed shower. It was sooooo good. Especially after that long hike. On a pretty warm day. When I wore a long shirt under a short sleeve shirt. You get the picture.
Devo's then bed. I hit the sack so hard, I was out before my head hit the pillow and I didn't move until morning. That's rare. I am a wiggle worm when I sleep. But not when I'm that tired.
Morning felt like it came too quickly. And the boys were rude.

Just sayin.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Nothing like camp - no mater what age the people are you are there with. Lasagna with bacon eh? hmmmmmm

I do not like non grippy shoes!

Anonymous said...

What a great blog to read whilst i ate my bowl of sugar puffs tonight! You crack me up! i bet that hike was fun! did you take your camera? Ash took a few photos but i should ask her before i start posting them. I remember chatting with cook Brian last year. he was pretty cool! I wish i could have heard the speakers :( sigh..maybe we can get them to come to our youth group sometime! Love you again!

Rachel said...

You know you've written a good post when Shiela tells you she read it while eating her cereal. :)

I think the coolest part of this was how the pastors lessons all flowed together and yet they didn't coordinate it.

That's a long hike. I'd be wiped out too. And bacon...uhoh. Sorry you had to go through that! Yikes!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I agree with the "other comments" - I am sure you "all" will have some good stories to share from Camp. I bet you are counting the days when you can go back. :) I liked the part about A not wanting to talk - she is such a PISTOL!!!