Thursday, November 11, 2010

A quick nothin-to-do-with-nothin

I'm really disappointed that four days into November, our stupid internet connection with Mediacom went out and I had to miss blogging for the past week.
Stinkin' Mediacom.
But it's back up and running so here I am.

So, to get back into the groove, I have four memories of each of the four places that Bryan and I have lived in since we've been married, and I thought I'd share it with y'all.

1. Crazy memory: Our very first apartment. First floor and it was tiny, clean, and perfect. We had a half kitchen with a half stove. No dining room, one small bedroom, little bathroom, cozy living room. It was a straight shot through, from the front door to the back of our bedroom. Like a giant rectangle.
We never had to worry about our neighbors, everyone was quiet. The most we got was a dog across the street that would bark at our kitten whenever she would sit in the large front window.
Well one night, in the middle of the night, I woke slightly thinking I heard someone knocking at the front door. I kind of woke Bryan but we didn't hear anything so we went back to sleep. I'm sure seconds later we woke to someone banging on our bedroom window. I mean banging on our window. Right next to us. Scared us half to death.
It turned out to be a police man. He knocked on our front door but we didn't answer so he came around to the back and knocked our bedroom window. As it turns out, he was at the wrong apartment anyway. If I remember correctly, it wasn't anything serious anyway. But still.

2. Freaky memory: Our second apartment. This time we were on the third floor. Thankfully. Because New Years 2005 we had gone to bed early, 10:30-11ish.
Probably around 2 or 3 in the morning Bryan and I woke to the sound of gun shots and screaching tires. Bryan called 911 but he wasn't the first. Turned out someone had tried to run over another guy. When that didn't work they fired their guns.
No one died, which I think is a miracle. We could even see the tire marks that ran up into the grass. Nuts-o.

3. Annoying memory: Our first rental house. Two morning straight at about 3 or 4 in the morning, Bryan and I would be awaken to the sound of a car alarm going off.
I couldn't stand it. I couldn't go back to sleep until it went back off. Bryan can sleep through anything. The house could fall down around him and he still wouldn't wake until he was ready.
We called the cops after an hour the first morning. How could no one else wake to that??
The second morning someone ele called them. It turned out that the car alarm was broken and would just go off. But it only did those two times. At four o'clock in the morning.

4. Happy memory: Our first home. We moved in when I was 6 months pregnant. 3 months later I gave birth to a sweet baby girl. Then for many, many months I would be woken up several times during the night.
But each time I was rewarded with a sweet baby, I could lovingly hold in my arms as she nursed. I love, love, loved it. I still love the memories. I'm still bummed that those moments are now only memories but I love the new moments we share each day.
She wears her tutu, does the hula, and shakes her cute little tush. She gets in the dogs kennel, makes me look, and laughs and laughs and laughs. She says "pease" and "daent you", "bess you" when someone sneezes, "sooze me", and "ya yoo" in response to our own I love you's.

I'll have to do a better catch-up soon but that's all for now. Have a great night!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Love this post! I'd be freaked out if a cop was banging on my window! I always requested an apartment at least on the 2nd floor. I was too scared of people breaking in!

I totally remember the car alarm ordeal. Bryan sounds like Jacob. Jacob can sleep through anything too!

I love your memory for your first home. I can't believe how big A is getting. Such a sweetheart. :)

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Fun post there - I too would have "freaked" if a policeman knocked at our window and if gun shots were outside my window! Your best memories with "A" - that was good and you know you will have so many more as the years go by!!!