Saturday, November 13, 2010

My exciting Saturday (of last week)

Last Saturday was excellent.
First, I got to go to Book Club for the first time ever. It was very cool. Not only did I get to sit around with a bunch of lovely, godly women, but I got to talk with them about a very cool book. We read (before hand) and discussed Friendship for Grownups by Lisa Welchel.
This book touched my heart and helped me to realize the areas I needed to grow in to develop loving friendships. She had wonderful first hand, personal experience that I was able to relate to. And those ladies know how to talk! In a good way too! They were wonderful to listen to, and stated 95% of my own thoughts. I loved being able to sit back and soak in such wonderfulness these ladies radiated.
Then we ate salad.
It was yummy. We had a salad bar which everyone brought a topping and a dressing then created their own from everything that was brought. It was so good. I'm going to try to recreate it a bit this week because it was just that good.

Then:

My aunt Kimmy, organizer and simplifier extraordinaire, had come up to visit us on Friday night, along with my grama and my sister Sarah. I had invited Kimmy to come and do a Simplicity Seminar for the ladies in my church. Unfortunately, if was a very busy Saturday so not a lot of people were able to show up.
However- It was still most excellent. Kimmy has thee most awesome ideas of simplifying your life. Not to mention organizing as well as saving money in the process.
She gave us many ideas for each room and things within that room. She also talked a lot about purging anything you don't love or need. Insert FlyLady into my life once again. Not that she ever left, I think we just needed a reintroduction.
The ladies that came seem to be so blessed from what Kimmy had to say. They asked questions, gave thoughts, and discussed things to help get themselves clutter free. It was awesome.
I seem to always take something away from her whenever she comes up or I get to see her on one of our family visits. I love her.
She is like my big sister. Yeah, we're 16 years apart but in my family, my aunt Kimmy and her hubby are my close family. People don't seem to understand just how close we are, and truthfully, I never really understood just how they couldn't understand. That is until I met Bryan and got close to his family.
In their family, it's Parents and Siblings. No aunts and uncles. Not really even grandparents. Makes me sad for them. It's like I have a really, really big family. And I love it. And so very grateful for it.
Tomorrow I'll post some pictures, but let me tell you, I've cleared out my closet, given away unloved things that I've been holding onto because they were given to us as wedding presents, and pitched and tossed like a pro.
I only buy exactly what I need knowing just right where I'm going to put it. I am getting clutter free. So this entire week I have done all my FlyLady each and every day. I even bought a mop to replace my swiffer mop and did a full blown job on the kitchen and the bathroom.
Now, if you know me, cleaning the bathroom gives me the heebie jeebies. Hair, bodily fluids, soap scum.. I shudder. But I did it. I, me, did it. And now they both look so very nice.
My kitchen still has a bit to go because of the repainting but it's almost there. I just need to take care of the breakfast nook, sand, paint, and clear off and clean, then I'm done. Huzzah.


2 comments:

Rachel said...

Believe me, I'm right there with ya on cleaning the bathroom. It gives me the heebie jeebies too, but if I want it clean, I have to do it. Yuck!

The simplifying seminar sounds like something that I would love. I have things I need to get rid of. Did she have tips for people who have husbands with hoarder like tendancies!? I can eventually get rid of things, but Jacob can't let them go..drives me nuts I tell ya! :)

I'm glad you have such and kind, loving and BIG family! :)

Love you!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I understand totally how you can be so close to your relatives - especially your Auntie Kim. :) I tell you of all events this year; I think this seminar was one of the BEST OF BESTEST! I wish you could see my car right not - it is filled to the rim with stuff to take to Good Will - my second trip there this month. :)