Wednesday, November 03, 2010

And to finish 'er off.








First, let me state for the record so that I may bring this up to my daughter when she's older and hold it over her head, we called her twice on Saturday. Once in the afternoon which she responded with a "Hi Dadda!" and a "No Momma". We think she was telling her grandma that I wasn't there and didn't realize I was on the phone.
The second time was later on toward dinner time. We though we'd call to see how trick-or-treating went for her. It went well, however she didn't want to wear a costume, so she went as a stubborn little girl. And when it came time to talk to us for the second time in one day, we both got rejected. Yes. She said no to wanting to talk to us.
I am, however, really glad she had such a good time. I actually didn't even remember to think about her until midnight on Friday night. And the rest of the weekend, I was okay. It was nice to get away and have some free time. Bryan and I are definitely willing and excited to let her leave for the weekend or even just an over nighter here and there.
Only took 2 years.

So!, Friday. No, Sunday. Which day is it again?

Sunday morning was our day to "sleep in". I put quotation marks around it because that's just what it wasn't, however, it was still nice so really I'm not complaining. Just pretending like I am.
All girls, not just my cabin, woke to the lovely sound of banging pots and pans. The boys thought it would be a good idea to bring a wooden spoon and a pot down to our cabins and so lovingly bang on them to graciously give us a wake up call.

..yeah..

I wasn't startled or anything, it was just like a really terrible alarm clock. The boys even thought it would be a good idea to come back around for a second time since they saw no movement coming from any of the cabins. This time they put the pots directly onto the windows and banged as loud as they could.
I still barely moved. As well as the other girls.
I ended up laying there for another 30 seconds to a year and a half, couldn't really tell just how long, but I got up and woke the rest of the girls up. It's hard being a den mom because I don't want to be a bad guy as well when waking up a bunch of girls. But they were sweet as could be and got up when I told them to.
Good girls.
Breakfast consisted of NO bacon, thank you Brian, and it was tasty.
Worship wasn't too bad, but we were all so tired and my hubby picked such upbeat songs it was hard to get into it but we did the best we could with the little energy we had. The first song pathetically lacked energy but we picked it up by the second and more on the third.
Bryan's and my voice was so shot we were glad it was the last set of music for the weekend.
I don't think I've sung anything since. Yeesh.
I'm actually surprised we hadn't lost our voiced. Impressed actually. And I'm proud of our little worship team. A bass, guitar and two singers. One kid actually jumped on the beat box for a few songs to give it a little depth. Which was nice. Note: Drummer next year, please :)
We ended with our very own Pastor Keith riding in on his motorcycle to bring home the message of A Rebel With A Cause. He did an alright job. It was just okay. Not bad.. Eh.
He seemed to tie it all in together and the kids still listened; even though he was the fourth speaker of the weekend, it was early morning, and they were all super tired- they listened. That means something.
And it was so cool because we had 2 guys who were popular in HS, were going to go somewhere with sports, had everything, then God took it away so they'd make Him first in their lives. Then we had the other two guys who were geeky in HS, no one liked, picked on, and wanted it to be over when God stepped in showing them He would happily carry everything and be everything in their lives.
So, which ever category those kids fell into, there was someone who could relate and spoke on it. So cool.
We ended it off by cleaning up the camp, saying our good-byes and 'see ya next year's, and driving home.

It was a very cool weekend.

When Bryan and I got back to the church we got to stop and talk to our friend Sheila about the weekend. She was so bummed on not being able to go this year that we were excited to talk about it with her and fill her in on the juicy details, fun stuff, and awesome ridiculousness of it all.
After we dropped the last two teens off at home, we headed home ourselves. Thinking we'd get a few hours just to rest, unwind, watch some Dr. Who.. Grandpa dropped off our A. She was super excited to see us, as we were her, we were just too anxious to see 8 o'clock roll around so we could go to bed.
Yes, 8.
We didn't end up going trick-or-treating. We didn't have anyone to go with and our A isn't all that into it just yet so it would have been more trouble than it was worth. So we stayed home, had Papa Murphy's pizza, and ate a lot of chocolate. Don't judge. It was Halloween.
At 6:30 our friends the Pitts' stopped by and we got to see their kiddos cute costumes. A Crockeye..er.. I mean a Hawkeye cheerleader, Iron Man (I think), and Dorothy with a real Toto. He was my favorite.
Thankfully A didn't take a nap so she was ready by 8 to go to bed. Bryan and I went soon there after and fell asleep about 9, 9:30. And everyone slept in until 8:40ish the next day. And all was well.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Haha! I've loved reading about your very eventful weekend. You've done a great job describing it, so it was fun to picture it all in my mind!

Glad you've recovered and I'm glad that you got to get away...even if it was with a million teenagers. :)

Kathy said...

I ended up laying there for another 30 seconds to a year and a half, couldn't really tell just how long, hahahahaha love this line!

busy weekend for you guys! Glad your little one had such a good time the first of many I am sure!

Anonymous said...

great to read about all this and i LOVED hearing you guys talk about it...almost felt like i was there. Ash keeps saying how much she loves you guys...and i agree with her! LOVE the photos!

Anonymous said...

great to read about all this and i LOVED hearing you guys talk about it...almost felt like i was there. Ash keeps saying how much she loves you guys...and i agree with her! LOVE the photos!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

You are blessed, talented, and quite the "writer" I might add! I just wanted to tell you that. I just loved how you describe "A" - and the weekend.