Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the principal one was that they escaped teething." -Mark Twain

This last Wednesday, Amelia was feeling very off, ill, not well. I felt so bad for her and it was frustrating because I really didn't know what I could do for her but to watch her cues and help her in the best way, and any way, that I could.
Over the course of the day, I had tried three different times to give her Tylenol, all resulting in her throwing up. The last one was the worst. She had nothing in her belly but I knew it was coming. She kept gagging and her poor little face was so disgusted. So I grabbed her, turned her over on a towel to prepare for what was to come [up].
I don't know what was more painful. For her to dry heave twice before turning red and throwing up what little she could muster, or me, having to watch my baby go through that. I about couldn't contain myself.
Since Bryan's mom is a nurse, she offered us some advice to try to avoid the throwing up and to get some medicine down into her. She suggested to sit her up (to avoid the gagging), have her suck on her paci, insert the dropper in the side of her mouth and give her just a little at a time. Ta-da.
I did know this at one point in time. I really did.
She was so much better the next day. She looked better, felt (no fever) better and acted more like her self. It was sweet joy.
On Friday, I talked to my friend, Jolene, who has a two year old herself and she said that her daughter would always be ill just when she was about to cut teeth. So come Monday or Tuesday she would bet that Amelia would have her first tooth (or signs of it).
Sure enough, on the way home from the other side of Iowa, Courtney felt her gums and there were signs of soon-to-be teeth. I can feel her gums cutting.
My sweet, gummy baby will soon be not toothless, with tooth, to be with teeth. It's happening. It's been happening. She is growing so fast.

Did I tell you all that she is now reaching her arms out for me to hold her. She wants me to hold her all the time.


Have I mentioned how much I love watching her grow.

No comments: