Friday, January 04, 2013

26/30 Things: Popular notions

{To know what I'm talking about, and to see previous 30 Things posts, start here}

26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?

Hm.. I'd have to say being a Christian.  I think a lot of people take on the title of Christian very casually.  You can't just claim to follow Christ, you have to actually live it too.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not perfect and in so many ways.  I fail daily.  DAILY.  But every day I wake up and try to live my day for God.  I don't always get it right but I do try.  
I feel like people who claim Christianity but don't live it make life a lot harder on those of us who really do try.  Christ calls us to love.  Everyone.  Unconditionally.  To show grace and mercy.  To treat others the way Christ would.  In love.  To care for others.  Not judge others.  To lift each other up.  Not pick and choose who we're going to love that day but to love every person we come into contact with. 
Truth: I do fail to do this.  A lot.  But every time I mess I up, I try to make up for it.  
I've been forgiven.  I've been shown grace.  Mercy.  Love.  Every day.  And because of that I work at returning grace, mercy, and love right back out into the world.  And when I mess up, because I always do, I'm forgiven again and again I try to go back out there to love on others.  
Christ calls us to love.  And to love we must do.
One of my favorite quotes is by dcTalk:

The single greatest cause of atheism in the world today is Christians.  Who acknowledge Him with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle.  That is what an unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

So let us love others.  Let us show Christ through our actions and our words.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Oh September - I can so relate to this post - I fail every day multiple times! It makes me think of the Casting Crowns song, Jesus Friend of Sinners "the world is on their way to You but they're tripping over me" . . . missed you this morning! love you