Thursday, August 19, 2010

Raptor Center






This week has been crazy but yesterday, on a whim, I decided to take A and Emily's M and J to the Raptor center. My sis, Courtney got to tag along with us. She's an animal nut and wouldn't have been missed it.
Well, there's two Raptor center's around here and I meant to take them to the closest one but I didn't. At all. I got directions for the place and didn't bother to check them and wound up passing the closest one by 20 some minutes to the next location.
However!, it was gorgeous out there! I told my hubby that
we have to take a family day to spend
the entire day out there walking the trails, seeing the sites, boating, fishing. It was just so gorgeous.
We got out there and I told the kids that we were asked to keep our voices down so we wouldn't scare the birds... they didn't do too bad. They had thee cutest owls. Some where so little and the kids asked if they were babies. They weren't, they were just little. We also saw a bald eagle, which was magnificent, a vulture which was so weird looking, and a hawk eat, or rather, tear into a mouse.
They checked out their wing span compared to that of an eagle's 7 ft. They fell a little short ;)
We found a trail at the end of the cages and decided to walk it down. We ended up close to the water but I wouldn't let the kiddos get any closer. Don't need someone falling in. So we just stayed our distance. But it sure was gorgeous.
At the end, on our way back, we went through a butterfly garden and saw mostly bees with only a couple butterflies, but still way cool. On our way into the place a butterfly landed on my hand. I tried to get the kids to see it but J kept looking around me when the little guy was right there on my hand. And on our way out of the center a butterfly was chasing J around in circles. Then he decided to run with his eyes close. We'll just have to take his word since he was running away from us.
All in all, it was fun. Definitely going again.

Tomorrow I'm painting another room. Stay tuned...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the raptor center and need to take the kids out there. I had to look and see if i could find photos from one of our visits....here's a link http://spookystevens.livejournal.com/144077.html

Good times! We should all go together sometime!!!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah...i meant to ask...where's the closer one? i only know about the mcbride one

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Man, Jerry and I used to go out there a lot - we haven't been out there yet this year and I don't think we went last year. I really like it out there! Glad you all went and had such a good time! The Fall out there is wonderful too! Hmmmm I must tell Jerry we need to go out there.

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

What happened to my comment - I wrote. I said Jerry and I have to go back there; we used to go a lot. We haven't been there last year or this year!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I realize now you have to "approve" my post duh...

Danger Haley said...

I love the picture of the owl! Did you take the pictures?

September said...

I did take the pictures! But they're all with my phone. I thought the Raptor Center would be different and I wouldn't bother with my camera. Turned out I was wrong. Next time :)