Monday, February 16, 2009

Now I understand why my mom hid in the bathroom.

When I was younger I would follow my mom around like a little puppy dog every where she went. I loved my mom (still do.. a lot :) and so I wanted to be with her all the time.
I'm sure mom's and children can understand what I am saying here.
So when I realized my mom wasn't around I would go and search her out. I'd go to knock on the door and I would hear a, "yes?" That's when I would respond with a, "whachya doing?" Quickly, it turned into this conversation:
me (knocking on the door): "Mom?"
my mom: "Mom's not here."

I can fully understand and appreciate what she was doing, now. My refuge is the bathroom. It's an escape where I can be alone, relax in the tub, be away from the animals, the noise and constant attention to all four of the family members living in this house. Yes, our cat would sit, pawing and crying at the other side of the door but I could just place the headphones to my iPod gently in my ears, being lullabyed by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, and drift into another world where no one needs me. Even if it's only for a short time. It's still a great escape.
However, now in the winter months, our door has shrunk from the weather and it no longer latches. So now when I'm in the bathroom, our cat will open the door by pawing at it to be able to sit at my feet and meow at me. Bryan recently taught our dog to open doors with his nose, so that is what Pete will do to try to find the cat since she commonly resides in the bathroom. Bryan himself is kind and generally won't bother me, however, as he's watching Amelia I can hear her fuss for me.
It's still my escape. A towel in front of the door generally helps until the door swells again from the summer heat.

So now, whenever my mom resides in the bathroom, I will still bother her because I am her daughter and that's what I do.

Does this mean I need to get a lock on the bathroom door for when Amelia can open doors?

No comments: