Wednesday, October 03, 2012

20/30 Things: Childhood Memories

{To know what I'm talking about, and to see previous 30 Things posts, start here}


20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.



I wanted to write a book when I was 8
So I had an idea for a book .  I wanted to write about how adults don't think we understand things at certain ages but that we totally did.  I felt like they didn't realize that we understood things even though we did.  I probably would've made mega bucks.


The Christmas when I found out Santa wasn't real
I think I was 5 at the time but I came down the stairs after bed for whatever reason, I'm not sure, and saw my dad writing on a tag and then placing it on a present so I snuck back upstairs.  The next morning when we opened presents I saw that the same present my dad was writing on the night before read, "To September From Santa".  But it was a Strawberry Shortcake doll that turned into a cupcake when you flipped her dress up and put her cupcake top hat on her head.  It was way cool.  And it smelled like strawberries.

My Baptism
I got baptized in '95.  I believe it was June that I made the decision at camp.  10 years old and I wasn't paying attention (imagine that) and during worship I saw a bunch of people go up on stage.  A couple of them were my friends and they were crying so I went up to hug them.  
Turned out it was a time to make a decision for Christ and to get baptized.  The guy I got to talk to actually went to college with my parents so he knew who I was immediately.  We talked and I decided I really did want to get baptized, but not at camp.
I went home and on a Sunday after church, my whole family (grandparents, uncles, aunt, mom, and sisters) got to watch as my Uncle Jon baptized me.  And the coolest thing, when I went under the water I saw a light.  I thought maybe it was a light bulb above me but nope!, I believe it was a God moment.
I'm thankful that's when I decided to do it because just a month and some later my other uncle was killed in a car accident.  I'm glad he got to be there for that.  It meant still means a lot to me.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

what a great baptism story :) how cool

I would have read your book

santa schmanta - I loved strawberry shortcake things that my girls had :)