Monday, January 09, 2012

The Long(er) Version - part I

*Disclaimer - This is a birthing story so there are going to be some gory details. In truth, this is really more for me and my baby, than for anyone else, to remember her beautiful birth. Proceed with caution (and don't say I didn't warn you) ...

Thursday the 22nd I had the horrible doctor's appointment. After having said something on facebook a few people had commented that sometimes doctors will be rough with the patients to try to induce labor. Seems about right to me.
Thursday night I had contractions sporadically throughout the night. They were like Braxton Hicks but with a kick, so to speak. But they pretty much died off by the time I woke up.
Friday morning I was having a few again but they were so all over the place and not consistant in any way I figured this would be a test run. I let my mom know what was going on but not to worry about it since I didn't think anything would come of it. By two I told her they were a little more consistant and that if they continued that way I would let her know by four.
My baby sister, Courtney, was also on her way up. She's in Missouri right now and wanted to come up to visit us whether we were going to have this baby soon or not. Unbeknownst to her that I was in labor. I didn't want to say anything to her until I knew it was real. No need to get her all excited if the contractions were just going to die off.
Once four o'clock hit I figured this was more than likely going to head towards real labor than not. Contractions were actually becoming consistant although still about 8 minutes apart and they were getting a little more intense. Called mom and told her to go ahead and head our way. And at this point Court showed up. With ice cream. She's a good sister :) I told her I was having contractions and she was extatic. She picked a good weekend to visit.
I continued counting contractions and eventually let myself take a shower. I didn't want to do it too soon but wanted to wait until labor was underway. By eight my mom showed up and we were all laughing and chatting in between contractions. Our three year old was a little concerned each time a contraction hit but Aunt Coco and Gramma were good to keep her entertained.
By nine, Bryan put A to bed which ended up taking a while. I was finally ready to go but now had to wait until the kiddo was asleep. I at least wanted us to be there to put her to bed so she'd sleep well instead of worrying where momma and daddy were.
Near ten we were finally heading out the door and on our way to the hospital.
I had made it farther this time that I did with A before heading to the hospital. This time I had to stop for each contraction so I could concentrate but also because it hurt so much that I couldn't really move when it hit. Mom helped me get around the car while Bryan moved hers and got ours started. I remember asking her if they got worse than this, and she gave me the truthful version - Yes.

No comments: