Friday, September 22, 2006

Once Upon A Time...

So, I stole this entry from Karadyan's site. So, making sure to give her credit, it's a very good entry and I feel the exact same way with a few moderations.. Sorry Karadyan but I didn't have asthma.

I miss being a little girl. Everything was so much easier then. The only boys that hurt me were bullies that didn't want to admit they liked girls. My hospital visits were because of checkups, not depression. Money wasn't an issue, and no meant no. Mom's opinions were all that mattered, And the only person I needed watching over me was Jesus. Walking around barefoot was less dangerous, and splinters were the only daily drama. Selling lemonade on the corner made me enough money to last and we played barbies instead of gossipping. Playing with people meant playing actual games, and you could only cheat on a test. "Best friend" was more than just a title, friends forever didn't seem so impossible, and laughing wasn't a chore. Curfew was when it was dark, all my friends lived within walking distance and the neighbors didn't care if we played in their yards. Walking to McDonalds or the pool was exciting for us because we got to cross the railroad tracks. I cried over scraped knees and elbows, not broken hearts. We were more concerned with each other's well being than the newest zit on our own face. Pinky promises actually meant something and "getting away" meant going to the treehouse next door. It wasn't so hard to love each other and we didn't notice each other's imperfections. Yes, I miss being a little girl.

5 comments:

jordan said...

except i'm a child of divorce. so i'm jaded, and childhood was weird. i think i'm more childish now than i was then, and that's why i like life better now. i've got reasoning skills! ha! hearts and ribbons to you, my friend.

jonathan said...

I think most people who come from divorced families or traumatic backgrounds tend to live part of their childhood in their adult lives. I think in some ways we feel we are owed it since an event forced us to grow up faster. But jordan is right, if you can retain some of that childlike aspect into your adult life you are happier, and most likely healthier and more fullfilled. I think this longing can be a healthy part of growing up, because it reminds us how to haev tender hearts. Thank you my dear friend for sharing it.

none said...

And this is why you both are so great.

jordan said...

poodles and doodles. [for the lord.]

raj said...

I miss being a little girl too.

Oh dear, I've said too much.