Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sleep Less in Iowa

So, I don't normally do Lent, not being Catholic and all.  Well, that and I never really understood why people would give up things just because it was for lent.  Like, no internet or no sweets.  If you're not doing it to grow closer to God then what's the point?
(I know some people do give up those two things, among others, to grow closer to God, I'm just speaking of those that only give up things just to give them up for 40 days and for no other reason. Also, I'm speaking of no one in particular.)
But this year I've found something to give up, so I'm going to give it my best.
I've been following along with our church's Bible in a Year and it's going alright.  I really have to work
at finding the time, which, to me, is awful.  It's awful that I have to find the time to be in God's Word.  

So for 40 days I will be giving up an hour of sleep in the morning to be in God's Word.  

If you know me, you know I love my sleep.  I cherish it, mostly because I really need it.  Having hypothyroid I get really tired if I don't get plenty of sleep and I need about 10 hours every night.  And with no nap in the afternoon, my sleep at night becomes very precious.  And waking up in the middle of the night to nurse the Little, my extra morning sleep is even more precious.  So you can see what it is that I'm really giving up here.  You other momma's can relate!!
I guess this'll mean that I need to give up my evenings and go to bed earlier.  That's not easy since the hubs is a night owl (and really, so am I) and that's our time together.  But we'll get it figured out.  And then maybe we can have a new routine that really works after the 40 days is over.
I'm really going to give this my best shot.
Wish my God speed, or well wishes, or pray for me, or all the above!  Cause I'm gonna need it.

Do you have anything you're giving up for Lent?

2 comments:

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

So, I may forget to ask you tomorrow:
How is it going on your sleep and how is it going on not eating sweets and grains?

September said...

Violet, amelia and I have all been sick the last few days so I haven't been doing it. But I do plan on starting again on Monday morning.
As for sweets and bread, I'm doing great! I've had zero sweets this year and once I've had breaded Chinese food and I got sick do I was quick to learn my lesson!thank you for asking!!