Thursday, May 17, 2012

No-Poo

Yes, you read that right, but no, it's not what you're thinking. Well, it might be I guess since I can't read your mind and all. Anywho.. I read a blog by a hairdresser from New York who discusses the topics of (you guessed it) hair. Well the other day she posted about no-poo. I said to myself, "Say wha!?" and continued reading. The problem: Turns out there are tons of chemicals in shampoos and conditioners that strip your hair and fakely condition it making your hair rebel and produce tons of excess oils to fix the problem thus leaving you to fully depend on the chemicals of shampoos and conditioners to take care of the excess oils. Vicious cycle it is. The solution: So instead of continuing the vicious cycle, you stop using the shampoos and conditioners all together and instead do a simple basic alkaline solution. The miracle powder: Baking soda itself. Then you condition your hair with apple cider vinegar. Who'da thunk? You wash your hair twice a week to get it back to it's healthy state with the baking soda/water mixture. So far, I'm loving it. Last wednesday was the last time I washed my hair with shampoo. And I don't miss it. I still get the squeaky clean feel of clean hair without it stripping it but simply removing the dirt and extra oil. It's a little on the dry side but I can fix that with either using less baking soda or rubbing a SMIDGE of olive oil on the ends of my hair. And the dryness only seems to last for a day. Then after than it's fine, so probably just use less baking soda. AND! for those worried, my hair does not have a hint of smell of the apple cider vinegar. It just smells clean. I dig it. So I've done the baking soda twice now, last Sunday and yesterday, and I plan to keep going with it. My husband calls me a hippie. I don't mind. I'm going back to natural things, healthy eating, growing my own fruits and veggies, buying things organic. I love it. Now if only I can get my hubby to stop teasing me and put up my clothesline already ;)

3 comments:

Rob said...

Hi there!

I love this post.

I've been 'no poo' (or very minimal poo) for about 2 years now using mainly baking soda and lemon juice and I have to say I love it.

As a bloke I mainly tried it because I didn't like shampoo commercials telling me I HAD to use their product or I'd get dandruff and become a greasy lonely mess.

I've recently been experimenting with some more outlandish formulas for achieving clean hair using common natural ingredients. (Some have been more successful than others...)

Best of luck and I hope you continue your no poo experiments

Rob

http://www.naturalshampookits.org.

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I don't know September, I don't like the smell of Apple Cider Vinegar but it does sound interesting. Also what would it do on colored treated hair, would imagine it would "strip" the color - woman I am just not ready to go gray! I think it is great that you are "being a hippy" and doing it though. You are beautiful, so really what ever you do you look great.

September said...

I don't like the smell either but it doesn't stay with your hair so that's not a problem. Also, it can strip your hair of hair color. It'd be best to stay with shampoo but to only wash your hair once every week or two. :)