Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Almost There

Bryan and I are almost finished with week two of phase one of the Maker's Diet. Whew! It's tough but I'm proud of us. Bryan only had a cheat once on Mother's day. You would have thought it had been me having the cake and ice cream but it wasn't. His mom didn't make a homemade dessert like she usually does but instead brought home a bought cake from pinning the day before. I'm kind of a cake snob so I could easily pass. Because store bought generic white cake? blah. But if it had been one of her homemade deliciousnesses then I wouldn't have been able to resist. Her stuff is yum-mo! Anyway, I digress. But we're doing good. Bryan has lost 10 pounds and I've lost 5! Go us! I'm almost to my first goal. AND! I think I may have even talked my mom into doing this with us. It'd be so good for her too if she does. She has hypothyroid too so it's like no matter how much we exercise, if we eat carbs and sweets, we won't lose a pound. It stinks. But this is the solution. So, pray for her if you think about it. I told her to look at it like this: For one, it has to be a lifestyle change. Not a diet. We have to make this work for us. And two, we have to see the hypothyroid as it is: a disease. And like others, like say people with celiac's disease who can't have gluten, we can't have just any ol' bread. There are certain types that we can have and we just need to adapt. I have a list of reasons for doing this diet change. A couple are that I need to be healthy for my kiddos and show them the proper and healthy way of eating. Especially if they end up with hypothyroid as well but even if they don't. Also, I want them to be proud of me. I don't care about being stick thin, I just care about being healthy and comfortable in my own skin. I will never again be 110 pounds like I was in college and that is a-okay because I am woman, I am curvy, and I am glorious in the body God gave me. I just need to take better care of it. So I think I am doing pretty well. However, I sure can't wait until the next phase because then we can have more fruit! And some cheeses!! Not in large quantities of course, but some. Even just having a more variety of smoothies will be lovely. I've also discovered some recipes for desserts that will coincide with our change so then we can have sweets every now and again as well! That'll be awesome. My uncle had to lose weight for his health as well. He looks great and sticks to it very nicely but I guess he will have one cheat day on Saturday where he can have sweets or something a little more rich and it sort of restarts his metablism. I'll have to look into that because, boy howdy, I miss me some peanut clusters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I love you. And I'm so proud of you for losing 5 pounds so far and sticking with this life style change! An I miss you.



.... Debs homemade deliciousnesses.... lol

JoAnna said...

i love that you said boy howdy...funny! Great job on the change! I will add that to my Forbes prayers :) love you guys!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

More power to you two! I know with my Hypothyroid I have to be careful on sweets - and you know I am not that good at it. My goal is to eat better (which I have) but have a treat, I am just too old not to. :) I will be praying like JoAnna said too.